Guest post by Anna of @KidLitCrafts
What do you do when you’re throwing a brother-sister birthday bash? Combine two of their favorites with an out-of-this-world Unicorns in Space Party of course!
We decked out Fort Wayne’s Bookhouse Studio in glitter and stars— painting galaxies, beading magical bracelets, finding space rocks, and decorating our very own DIY unicorn horns!
This activity was such a big hit, I wanted to share with you the secret behind these magical horns….. dollar store party hats! With $1 and a few basic supplies, you too can create some seriously amazing unicorn magic! Here’s how we did it:
cardboard party hats (the cheaper the better!)
hot glue gun
markers, crayons, oil pastels, paints…. whatever!
1. Disassemble your party hats. Our hats from the dollar store were conveniently held together with slots cut into the cardboard instead of staples, so they were super easy to come apart.
2. Cut cardboard down to size. This is not an exact science, but I took off about two inches on each side. For us, that was just to the inside of the cardboard slots.
3. Curl into a “horn” shape and hot glue together
4. Hole punch the sides and tie in the original elastic
5. Repeat, repeat, repeat!
6. Give to your tiny unicorns to decorate and enjoy some super magical results…
Are you a Fort Wayne, Indiana local looking for a super fun kids birthday idea? I would love to host your next birthday bash here at the Bookhouse! Each KidLitCrafts hosted party includes 90 minutes of studio time with art and sensory play stations based on your chosen theme. Here are some of my favorite party themes, but we’ll work together to find the perfect party for you!